IMPLEMENTATION OF AN ID3 BIOMODULE IN THE BRAZILIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION NETWORK
With a population of nearly 200.000.000 inhabitants, Brazil and its emerging economy represents one of the most populous countries in the world.
To provide its public transportation network with a biometric authentication system complying with many constraints (see part II.) is the challenge id3 Semiconductors raised to.
Working in many big cities of the country, the system is already making the daily life of millions of Brazilians both easier and safer by enabling them to use a state-of-the-art technology.
The challenge was simple: provide the country’s bus network with a reliable biometric system of authentication in an extremely challenging context.
Why is this context challenging? For six main reasons:
· 1. the vibrations and the movements due to driving are quite frequent; to proceed to an authentication with such a constraint isn’t an easy task.
· 2. the Brazilian natural environment being what it is, it’s very difficult—if not impossible—to keep one’s fingers in perfect shape for biometric authentication since sweat and dust, invisible for an unaided eye, are also a serious concern.
· 3. the Brazilian bus network transports dozens of thousands of passengers a day. It was thus necessary to provide a system reliable and rapid enough to perform millions of matches a day, without increasing the false match rate up to an unacceptable rate.
· 4. the bus network is used every day by very different people: kids, adults and elderly, each one of them possessing a different kind of skin. It was thus a necessity to provide a system able to recognize an individual whatever his age or skin condition.
· 5. as a project taking place in an emerging economy the cost factor had to be kept in mind at each step.
· 6. the system had to handle different fare policies—free transportation for students during daytime for instance.
Despite these constraints, id3 Semiconductors did manage to succeed in providing such a system when every others competitors failed.
The biomodule STA Light proves here himself to be one of the best biomodule of the market, in terms of pure capacity as well as concrete adaptation in the field.